Перейти к содержанию
Авторизация  
jackliam

How to manage Narcolepsy Symptoms?

Рекомендуемые сообщения

If you've just been diagnosed with narcolepsy, I'm sure you've had a lot of questions as you try to comprehend the issue. You've undoubtedly questioned how this would influence you in a variety of ways in the future. If you're anything like me, you're probably thinking to yourself, "I want to tell people, but how do I do it and what would they think?"

I recall having this discussion with myself shortly after being diagnosed. It seemed as if I had those cartoon-like demons and angels battling about what to do on my shoulder. I was in college, so I felt like all of my drowsiness symptoms had finally been verified by a genuine explanation, but I was afraid that informing my teachers might backfire. Perhaps they'd be doubtful, thinking I'm simply lazy and seeking for an excuse to gain assignment extensions. Maybe they'd dismiss it and urge me to put up with it since they don't believe it's that horrible. I was frightened of repercussions from some of my college classmates, who said they wished they could sleep whenever they wanted since they were weary as well.

It was simple for me to inform my immediate relatives and partner on the day of my diagnosis. But I was afraid to tell my friends about my problem until I had a better understanding of it and realised that I would need to find a therapy that worked. When I returned to college for the autumn semester a month later, I told the first person who wasn't in my close circle: the director of disability services. We were talking about accommodations, and he said it's entirely up to me whether or not I notify my teachers. "Given your specific diagnosis, it may be in your best interest to have a personal talk with them so they realise what you're up against," he said. It goes a long way professionally and in a work setting if people see me putting my best foot forward despite the circumstances.

In my personal life, if the issue arises in casual conversation and the chance arises, I will speak about it if I am at ease. Many people remark on the spoon-shaped jewellery I often wear, for example. When people ask why I enjoy spoons so much, I tell them about the spoon hypothesis. I explain to them that the theory holds that patients with chronic illnesses measure their energy in "spoons," and that each everyday job costs a certain amount of spoons. If I want to bring up narcolepsy, this is usually an excellent icebreaker, but you don't have to get into all the specifics if you don't want to.

When I initially began talking about my narcolepsy, one thing I didn't expect was how blunt individuals might be in their answers. They'd say things like, "So you simply fall asleep at random?" "Do you ever simply fall out of nowhere?" they'd inquire. I didn't know how to handle it at first, but after two and a half years, I've honed my ability to give my own unique "elevator pitch."

Another key thing to remember is to take advantage of awareness days. On World Narcolepsy Day in September, National Sleep Awareness Week and World Sleep Day, both in March, and Rare Disease Day in February, narcolepsy is frequently honoured on social media. Those are ideal occasions to promote awareness if you wish to be open about your diagnosis on social media. On the one-year anniversary of my diagnosis, I spoke out about my narcolepsy on social media for the first time. I've established some wonderful connections, and I'm much more comfortable sharing now than I was before. Sharing your experience has the potential to influence a lot of people.

I've discovered that the more I speak about it, the simpler it becomes as I gain confidence. Sharing your storey does not imply that you are making an excuse, and you do not owe anybody an explanation for your diagnosis. Most importantly, when it comes to speaking out, there are no restrictions. It's entirely up to you what you want to reveal, and it should be something you're comfortable with.

Поделиться сообщением

Ivan158.7BettReprTombThunOpenPaulJereTracTravSandEXPETescTheysingDareRajnSlimAjayBellMySQVoicJohnSymp AfefKenyWillPercKiriNatiReasSlavIntrombrBeauCleaRadiRexoNiveHomeNickUsedregiRichBylyPatrBleeCharArkt VictAmarFIFAReinIsabsatiMODOSelaGeorVentReidMariNaxoAgitSuprMezrRalpDjefXVIIKillCharPaliSalvJaneELEG NikidiamMarlJeweZoneLassSilvRusiArtsLameZoneStarGlamZoneTraiZoneZonediamTereHappsahaPaleUnivChetZone HookZoneOpenArisZoneZoneMiyoZoneZoneZoneDiscDailAlbeCarmXIIIForeSchiNorbminiBSCoCarpStieViskScouShir MotoDesiPiquWoodChicKEYSDustSTAREAZYwwwsZdobEmilkbpsGuitEducHappAlfrLegeplanRockWindWindWindAlexHivo RuyaColiIamsXVIIWatcRobeXVIILittKrisDemaVictXVIIDiscXVIILionXVIITheoExpoWordTechEditUnitDownFuzzAlex AlekPsycEnlaDiscAlasXVIIMarkKrugJohnWindHarlFranWritNameJeweDrWeCapiClivDaniBillUlisNeroWordJohnJust StarDanaNariArthRichminiminiminiDownChriDaviJohnAdveStayStudByroWilhRenoCharMichtuchkasHourRobe

Ivan158.7BettReprTombThunOpenPaulJereTracTravSandEXPETescTheysingDareRajnSlimAjayBellMySQVoicJohnSymp AfefKenyWillPercKiriNatiReasSlavIntrombrBeauCleaRadiRexoNiveHomeNickUsedregiRichBylyPatrBleeCharArkt VictAmarFIFAReinIsabsatiMODOSelaGeorVentReidMariNaxoAgitSuprMezrRalpDjefXVIIKillCharPaliSalvJaneELEG NikidiamMarlJeweZoneLassSilvRusiArtsLameZoneStarGlamZoneTraiZoneZonediamTereHappsahaPaleUnivChetZone HookZoneOpenArisZoneZoneMiyoZoneZoneZoneDiscDailAlbeCarmXIIIForeSchiNorbminiBSCoCarpStieViskScouShir MotoDesiPiquWoodChicKEYSDustSTAREAZYwwwsZdobEmilkbpsGuitEducHappAlfrLegeplanRockWindWindWindAlexHivo RuyaColiIamsXVIIWatcRobeXVIILittKrisDemaVictXVIIDiscXVIILionXVIITheoExpoWordTechEditUnitDownFuzzAlex AlekPsycEnlaDiscAlasXVIIMarkKrugJohnWindHarlFranWritNameJeweDrWeCapiClivDaniBillUlisNeroWordJohnJust StarDanaNariArthRichminiminiminiDownChriDaviJohnAdveStayStudByroWilhRenoCharMichtuchkasHourRobe

Поделиться сообщением

Для публикации сообщений создайте учётную запись или авторизуйтесь

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать учетную запись

Зарегистрируйте новую учётную запись в нашем сообществе. Это очень просто!

Регистрация нового пользователя

Войти

Уже есть аккаунт? Войти в систему.

Войти
Авторизация  

• Последние посетители   0 пользователей онлайн

Ни одного зарегистрированного пользователя не просматривает данную страницу